What is Liposuction
Liposuction, or “Lipo”, is permanent fat removal from specific areas of the body, using small surgical cannulas. It can be used to slim and reshape virtually any area of the body. The most common places liposuction is used are: the abdomen (love handles, muffin top, etc.), the hips & thighs, and the submental area (double chin).
• A Liposuction is an excellent operation for peoplewho have trouble spots of fat that are refractory to exercise and diet. Best results are achieved in patients who are within 30% of their ideal weight.
• The ideal patient is healthy, a non-smoker, and has specific goals for what they want to achieve with surgery.
• Liposuction is not a treatment for obesity.
• Liposuction is not a good treatment for cellulite
• Liposuction cannot remove loose or saggy skin. If there is excess skin, Liposuction may be combined with another procedure (such as abdominoplasty) to achieve the best results.
• Liposuction is best for removing unwanted fat, especially in troublesome areas that are not responding to diet and exercise. However, it cannot remove excess skin. On the other hand, a Tummy Tuck will remove the extra and stretched skin from the lower abdomen.
Read More Here
• Not sure? The best way to find out is to schedule a personalized consultation with Dr. Elkins-Williams. After a thorough discussion of your goals and a physical exam, Dr. Elkins-Williams will discuss all of your options and help you choose the course of treatment best for you!
Our team will:
• Ask about your goals and expectations for Liposuction
• Ask about your overall health, including other medical conditions, prior surgeries, medications and drug allergies.
• Examine and measure your abdomen
• Take photographs, including 3D photographs with the Vectra™ system.
• You will have a detailed discussion with Dr. Elkins-Williams to determine your goals and realistic outcome of the surgery. Dr. Elkins-Williams will discuss all of your options and recommend a course of treatment
• Every woman’s body is unique. Dr. Elkins-Williams is broadly trained in a wide variety of surgical techniques that he can adapt to each individual patient to deliver the very best results. During your consultation, Dr. Elkins-Williams will help you determine the right operation and right technique for your unique circumstances.
• Using your high definition 3D photos in the Vectra™ imaging system, Dr. Elkins-Williams will be able to simulate results of liposuction and body slimming. This tool allows you to express your goals to Dr. Elkins-Williams and will help you visualize your new body after surgery!
• There are a few very small incisions, closed with sutures that are under the skin and absorbable. With no wound care, the only thing you have to worry about after surgery is healing and making a full recovery.
• Liposuction typically requires about 2-3 hours to perform under general anesthesia. You will have some pain and swelling immediately after surgery. Most patients will require pain medication for a few days. You will need to hold off on aerobic exercise for at least 2 weeks after surgery; Dr. Elkins-Williams will advise you when strenuous activity can be resumed.
• You will wear a compression garment under your clothes for several weeks after surgery, to help reduce swelling and smooth your contour.
• Swelling will gradually improve over a period of around 3 months. Though results are visible immediately, the final outcome will reveal itself over several months as theswelling resolves.
• Look forward to better-fitting and more comfortable clothing. Enjoy improved confidence as you get ready for swim-suit season!
You will receive a surgical quote and any clearance forms required at your consultation. Should you decide to proceed, we will connect you with our patient care coordinator, Shannon Jones. At this time, you will select a procedure date and pay a $500.00 non-refundable booking fee to reserve this date. Once the surgery date is set, we schedule a pre-operative appointment two weeks prior to surgery.
At your pre-op, you will have ample time to discuss your upcoming procedure in great detail and have all your questions answered. We will review all pre- and post-operative care, prescribed medications, and any provisions we may give you for use pre- and post-surgery. You will review and sign the consent for surgery, and the balance will be due at the conclusion of this appointment.
Avoid blood thinning medications/supplements for two weeks prior to surgery. This includes any aspirin or aspirin-containing products as well as any anti-inflammatories such as ibuprofen or naproxen (including Motrin, Aleve and Advil). Generally, you may take Tylenol (Acetaminophen). Avoid supplements such as Vitamin E, multi vitamins, and omega 3 fatty acids (fish oil and flax seed oil.) You will be given a complete list of medications/supplements to avoid at your pre-op. All these medications can contribute to bleeding problems following surgery and can increase the amount of bruising.